DIASTASIS & THE TUPLER TECHNIQUE®
SEPARATED MUSCLES WREAK HAVOC ON YOUR BODY.
THERE'S GOOD NEWS!
Diastasis recti can be closed on ANYONE at ANYTIME....
With the Tupler Technique®
AND NOW, EVEN BETTER NEWS!!
Closing your diastasis will help your back, GI, abdominal and pelvic floor problems...
And can prevent a c-section and incisional hernia.
HERE’S WHAT PEOPLE ARE ASKING ABOUT DIASTASIS RECTI:
What about men and children with a diastasis? Want to know why a diastasis can put a pregnant woman at risk for a C-section? Have an abdominal hernia and thinking of surgery? Check out those pages also.
DO I HAVE A DIASTASIS RECTI?
OK. Are you wondering if you have a diastasis? You should check yourself to see if any of these things apply to you:
- Had any abdominal surgery or abdominal procedure where they filled your belly with air or have any abdominal hernias (umbilical, epigastric and hiatal)
- Have been pregnant. Each pregnancy will make a diastasis worse. That is why you will show faster with each pregnancy. A severe diastasis will always make you look pregnant!
- Have had a beer belly for an extended amount of time.
- Have an outie belly button.
- See a half-football bulge when bringing your shoulders off the floor from a back lying position
- As a child or adult have regularly done any of the following activities or exercises: gymnastics, swimming, tennis, golf, yoga, Pilates and crunches.
- Have back or hip pain, bloating after eating, and poor posture.
CHECK YOURSELF CORRECTLY
CHECKING YOUR DIASTASIS WITH A DIASTOMETER™
HOW CAN THE TUPLER TECHNIQUE® PROGRAM HELP YOU?
Not only can it make your diastasis smaller, it can prepare you for both abdominal surgery and labor. This preparation will prevent an incisional hernia and a C-section. We even have a program for kids starting at age 6 when they know how to bring their belly button back to their spine! For starters, you can read Julie’s book called Together Tummy.
JULIE TUPLER, RN IS THE EXPERT ON DIASTASIS!
SHE’S BEEN TREATING IT A LONG TIME. SINCE 1990!
RESEARCH & STATISTICS PROVE THAT THE TUPLER TECHNIQUE® WORKS!
LISTEN TO THE RESULTS THESE CLIENTS HAVE HAD:
HERE’S WHAT OUR CLIENTS LOOK LIKE AFTER DOING OUR PROGRAM:
HOW DOES THE TUPLER TECHNIQUE® CLOSE A DIASTASIS?
By healing connective tissue. That’s how!
IT HEALS CONNECTIVE TISSUE BY:
- Positioning both your connective tissue and muscles.
- Connective tissue: Taking the stretch off the stretched out connective tissue will support the healing of it. Continuously wearing the Diastasis Rehab Splint® will put it in a narrow position. Imagine it going from a piece of saran wrap to a piece of rope. The splint serves the same function as a cast when you break your arm or leg. To continuously keep the two ends of each bone together so they will heal. Unlike a cast, the splint will NOT weaken your abdominal muscles as you will be doing lots of Tupler Technique® exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles. The Together Tape (started in Week 4 of the program after preparing the skin with the Corrective Connective Tissue Cream) serves the same function. The recoiling of the tape after stretched is a communication from the skin to the connective tissue and muscles to move closer together.
- Muscles: The muscles need to be close together to move in the right direction when doing the Tupler Technique® seated exercises. This is a front to back movement. This front to back movement is shortening or strengthening the outermost abdominal muscles. If the muscles are separated 4 fingers or more, they will move in a sideways direction. This not only does not strengthen the muscles, but it stretches the connective tissue sideways. It is thus important to have the muscles close together when doing the seated exercises.
- Protecting your connective tissue from getting stretched either in a sideways or forwards direction. That is why for the first six weeks of the program we do not want you to do any sporting activities or exercise classes or workouts. You can still do cardio exercises like walking outside, walking on an incline on a treadmill, upright stationary bike or the Elliptical machine. No running or jumping. During the first six- weeks, you need to allow your connective tissue to heal as you develop transverse muscle strength with our abdominal exercises and transverse muscle awareness by using this muscle with activities of daily living.Then in week six of the program we will teach you how to incorporate the Tupler Technique® Program into your exercise routine as well as modify it so it is diastasis safe.We do not want you to undo all the gains you have made in the first six weeks!
- Strengthen your transverse muscle and the connective tissue with the Tupler Technique® exercises. You can even do these exercises while you are driving in your car!
JUST WEARING A SPLINT IS NOT ENOUGH TO CLOSE YOUR DIASTASIS. YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL FOUR STEPS OF THE TUPLER TECHNIQUE®
The 4 steps are:
- Tupler Technique® exercises (Elevator, Contracting and optional Head lifts) If you do just the seated exercises you will be just as successful with the program.
- Wearing a Diastasis Rehab Splint® (in Week 4, we double splint, which is wearing a splint and holding another splint (scarf) while doing the exercises)
- Developing transverse awareness with activities of daily living
- Getting up and down correctly
LOGISTICS OF THE PROGRAM
The program progresses over 18 weeks. However, just know it does not end at 18 weeks and you may not close your diastasis in 18 weeks. Even when you close your diastasis, you need to continue doing the exercises to keep it closed. Because you have a weak spot in your connective tissue at your belly button you can always separate your muscles again by putting force on your connective tissue. This is a program you will want to do the rest of your life because of how great it makes you look and feel. You will not believe how much stronger you will feel when your muscles are in the right position. Close together! This program is not a fad.
The first six weeks is the foundation of the program where we want you to do JUST our program and cardio exercises like walking, upright stationary bike and the Elliptical machine. No running or jumping. You will start to see the healing process starting within a couple of weeks. Then in week six, the program teaches you how to incorporate our program into your exercise routine. Julie highly recommends that you take before photos before you start the program. She said these photos turned out to be the best motivator for her clients. Please share them with us and we will think of something nice to do for you!
WHY DO I HAVE SUCH A SEVERE DIASTASIS?
The severity of your diastasis depends on the condition of your connective tissue. The condition of your connective tissue depends on your age (a diastasis gets worse as you age), the number of children you have had, the type of exercises and sporting activities you have done, and the number of abdominal surgeries you have had.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CLOSE MY DIASTASIS?
How long it takes depends on the severity of your diastasis and your commitment to all 4 steps of the Tupler Technique® Program. Just know a severe diastasis will take longer. Sometimes over a year or more. However, you will see the healing of your connective tissue starting the first couple weeks of the program. Please remember that you are ALWAYS at risk of opening your diastasis after you have closed it by stretching your connective tissue either in a forwards or sideways direction. That is why your transverse muscle must always be your best friend!
WHY WAIT TO START?
YOUR DIASTASIS ONLY GETS WORSE & HARDER TO CLOSE THE OLDER YOU GET.
Here are all your options for doing the program:
- Do our program on your own with one of our packages which includes an ongoing 18 week online support program which gives you the support of others doing the program.
- If you live in the New York City area, come to Julie’s Everybelly® Seminar Seminar in NYC. Julie does them three times a year.
- If you want individual training, work with Julie via skype or in person or work with a trained professional in your area